Take the plunge: learn a new language!
There are lifelong advantages to learning another language. Five local speakers recently showed you how having more than one language can provide a better start to life, broaden your career prospects and – yes – even give you a healthier old age.
- Cognitive benefits – for a brighter brain, learn another language and give your brain function a physical workout – you’ll boost your ability to focus, learn and problem solve.
- Economic benefits – want to add a competitive edge to your career or business? One language is nowhere near enough in today’s global market.
- Social benefits – multilingualism isn’t just valuable for practical reasons like boosting your career options — it’s great for improving your social life too!
- Health benefits – Stay sharper for longer with another language. Medical studies have shown learning a second language significantly delays the onset of many brain related diseases such as Alzheimer’s and all other forms of dementia.
Take the Plunge: Learn a New Language was a free public event of the Languages in the Mainstream project held on 1 November, 2017 at the State Library of Western Australia.
Speakers and and presentations:
- Kate Reitzenstein, MLTAWA President
- James Heath, UWA Masters of Engineering student
- Athanassia Iosifidou, English as a Second Language teacher
- Hon Dr Mike Nahan, Economist, State Treasurer and Minister for Citizenship and Multicultural Interests
- Heather Thorne, Alzheimer WA Educator
Lists of language courses available in Western Australia can be accessed below: